Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April: Morel Mushrooms: Theyyyy'rrrre Heeeerrreee





There is nothing like spotting a morel mushroom in the woods.  This little guy was one of three that we found on Saturday (4/20).  We were looking for black (grey) morels, but found this small yellow (brown).  Each of them was about the size of my thumb.  I'm hoping there will be more as it warms up and if there are, I will post our culinary experiments.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding this little mycological wonder mushroom.  Attempts to grow them in captivity were unsuccessful until pretty recently.  In my experience, they love tulip poplars and elms and despise pine trees.  I have frequently found them near the edge of a collection of pine trees, but they stop short of entering.  

A friend claims that the brown morel starts on hillsides near water and then moves up the slope and away from the water over the course of their short season (end of April-May).  I haven't seen this growth movement myself, but I did find these little guys near a stream on a southern facing slope near a dead elm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment