Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dandelion Wraps



It's that time again.  Last year, I learned that I really enjoy the bright and slightly bitter taste of dandelion greens (especially cooked as a substitute for spinach).  

I've also started to have lettuce from my home aquaponic system and sprouts (Mung and Alfalfa currently) from my sprouter.  

Together this means salads and wraps for me.

I love wraps and I am always surprised by the calorie count.  So I decided to make them myself to cut down some of the fat.  I was surprised by how easy and delicious these turned out. I chopped up 2 cups of dandelions (freshly foraged), added flour, and cooked them on an ungreased skillet.  

I'll definitely keep working on this recipe.

Here's the recipe I used for this first experiment.  Next time, I would cut back the expensive high gluten flour.  I added it because I hate when wraps break open when bent.  It definitely worked.  I have never used high gluten flour before.  It is very, very sticky.  I would cut it back to 1 cup next time and replace it with all purpose.  

Ingredients
2 cups high gluten flour 
2 cups all-purpose flour
2-3 cups fresh dandelion greens
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1 tablespoon butter ( unsalted) 
1/2 tablespoon olive oil 
2/3 cup water

Directions

1. In a cup, microwave water, butter and oil for a minute or two (enough to melt butter). 

2. Meanwhile in food processor place flour, sprinkle with salt and add spinach leaves. Chop until flour
turns green and there are no longer large leaf pieces.

3. Transfer green flour to a bowl and pour water mixture over top.

4. Knead with hands. If dough is too dry add a little water, if too wet add a little flour. (however this shouldn't be necessary).

5. Now form small balls and set them in back in the bowl.
6. Cover with a damp cloth/ paper towel. 
7. Let rest 15­30 minutes. 
8. Roll out your tortillas as thin as you can, over wax paper. 
9. Heat up your griddle or skillet over low heat. Do not grease.
10. Carefully peel your tortilla from the paper and place into hot skillet. 
11. Flip repeatedly to prevent burning. Allowing about 5-­8 seconds per side until golden bubbles appear on the tortilla ­ this means they are ready! 
12. Remove from heat and enjoy them warm or let them cool.

These were amazing and the dandelion flavor was very subtle after they were cooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment