Tuesday, September 20, 2011

July - Oyster Mushrooms


I've been looking for these for a while now as I mountain biked and hiked through the woods.  I found a few once before in June, just a few young ones, and they were really tasty.  I found these ones in August 2011 on a tree on the way back home from Fisherman's Paradise outside Bellefonte.  They were growing up the back of an oak.  

Amanda and I fried a few.  We dipped them in egg whites and then covered them in Panko bread crumbs and fried them in oil.  They were really delicious, though perhaps frying isn't the healthiest method.

With a majority of them, I tried a recipe for oyster mushroom chowder.  The recipes I found were very basic and I explored other chowder recipes (oyster/clam) for ideas, having heard that these mushrooms could be used in seafood recipes.  I settled on a recipe with red peppers and bacon added to the chowder along with liquid smoke and Tabasco sauce.  I won't give the details here because I wasn't overly pleased with the results.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't wonderful.  The mushrooms are great, but next time I'll go a different direction than chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment