Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September - Central PA Wild Mushroom Club

This past weekend I went out to Whipple Dam State Park to hunt for wild mushrooms with the Central PA Wild Mushroom Club.  There were several highly experienced mushroomers there who led different groups into the woods to search for a wide variety of mushrooms.  It was extremely informative and a fun walk in the woods.


As soon as we arrived, a few members found a couple hens of the woods mushrooms.  The above picture is not one of the ones that we found, but it gives an idea of what they look like and the general size.  This was the main objective of the outing as there are many hens out at this time and they are apparently very tasty. 

I didn't find any myself, but I did find three interesting varieties. 

The first was the Jack o' Lantern Mushroom (Omphalotus olearius). 






Again this isn't my picture, but this is what they looked like.  These are a poisonous mushroom, but they do have a beautiful color and they have a rather unique feature.  They apparently glow in the dark!  I didn't get a chance to see this in action, but they are slightly phosphorescent and if you place them in complete darkness, they glow.


I also found Granulated Boletes.  We found them under a white pine in clumps.  In order to eat them, it is sometimes recommended to peel the cap.  Some people have reported that the slimy coating has a laxative effect.  Bill Russell, a leader of the club, said that he has never had this problem, but I went ahead and peeled them anyway. 

I haven't eaten these yet because I didn't want to eat more than one kind of new mushroom at a time.

The mushroom that I did try was the "Small Chanterelles" (Craterellus ignicolor).  They look like a bright orange true chanterelle; however they have a trumpet like center as they age and are hollow near the top.  They do have the false gills. 

I fried these up in a little butter and they were very tasty.  They also had an almost citrus smell to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment