Sunday, September 25, 2011

September - Bear's head tooth mushroom

Amanda gets credit for finding this mushroom too.

Hericium americanum is a strange looking fungi. It resembles white coral growth or something out of Jim Henson's Dark Crystal movie. This one was hanging under a fallen log.


We baked this up (I set the oven for 350 and baked them for about 10 minutes, but next time I think I will lower the temp and bake them longer) and dipped it in garlic butter.


Now, to be fair, I can eat almost anything dipped in garlic butter. However, both Amanda and I were very pleased with the taste of these strange mushrooms. They have a seafood-like texture and a similar taste as well. If breaded and fried, I believe they would taste something like calamari.


Fun to find and fun to eat. Definitely something worth bringing in if you find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment