Monday, September 5, 2011

Lentil Soup


I had two bags of lentils sitting in my pantry, so I looked up recipes to cook them and found this one on the ABC news website.  I followed the directions and set it to cook on low overnight.  Before going to bed, I was a bit apprehensive because it was bland and watery, but in the morning the whole house smelled of delicious soup.  The lentils take time to absorb the water and release their flavor.  

One change I did make to the recipe was that I added a can of spicy V-8 tomato juice.  I'm not sure what difference it made.  Regardless, it was excellent.

Lentil Soup By Mary Sperling of Newberg, Ore.

Ingredients: 

 3 carrots, chopped 
 3 ribs of celery, chopped 
 1 onion, chopped 
 3 cloves garlic, pressed 
 8 cups water or vegetable broth 
 2 cups lentils, rinsed 
 1 tsp. dried thyme 

Directions Put all of these ingredients in the slow cooker. Set it on low if you are leaving it all day, high if you are starting it around lunchtime.
Lentil Soup by Mary Sperling of Newberg, Ore.
ABC
Lentil Soup by Mary Sperling of Newberg, Ore.

About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, add: 
 1 ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar 
 2 tsp. salt 
 1 tsp. ground pepper 
 1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped
 

No comments:

Post a Comment